The Bullers Arms was established circa 1856, and named after the Victorian hero General Sir Redvers Buller VC GCB GCMG. Buller took part in numerous campaigns, including the Second Opium War, the Ashanti Campaign and the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. He won the VC for saving three men whilst the army were in retreat from Hlobane. In the days that followed he commanded troops at the battles of Kampala and Ulundi, decisive victories which effectively vanquished the Zulu. He later served in two Boer wars, Sudan and Ireland and was a much loved public figure.
The pub has always been of great importance to villagers as well as those from further afield. Over the years it has been added to and changed, but its’ essential character as a traditional country pub has not changed. In recent years there have been several notable landlords, including Bill Kneebone and Tony Perry who, between them, ran the pub for a total of 30 years. Both still frequent the pub, Bill having pulled the first pint when we reopened and Tony having carved at our first Sunday carvery – something of a Bullers institution.